Mothers Take Heed

I am a single mom, but don't let the phrase fool you. I'm no wuss. I'm not into pity parties. Settling is not my thing. Instead, I want to show the world that mothers are not the weak ones, and it doesn't take a man to raise a God loving child, who is respectable, loving, kind, sharing, and selfless. I intend on proving it to the world that SINGLE MOMS ROCK. There are many of us out there. I believe that all women have what it takes to raise children the right way. All women, however, do not align themselves with other women, behaviors that spawn from the unknown and from paralyzing fear of failure. It is my goal to help empower all mothers- single or married, gay and straight by telling my stories so that other moms will not ever feel like they are doing it alone.

My daughter is Sarah. Her father is absent, so I am a wrestler, a lecturer, a chef, a comedian, a maid (not a very good one though), a cheauffer, a butler, a coach, a friend, a teacher, and a legend in her eyes- just like you probably are to your child. If you are not, start preparing yourself for a journey that will make you a good parent, even when you feel you are at your lowest point. I want to be encouraging, uplifting, and always thankful to God, who makes moms strong. Were it not for Him, I might not be here today. Let's get ready to grow. Subscribe to my feed, and I will supply you with real life stories that are sure to make your heart smile and occasionally purr.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Things are just things, and I want more.

I slept until 1pm today. It was just one of those days that you just wake up and know it's better for you to be sleeping. I don't have any cathartic moments to report on, no awakenings, nor any heart warming stories of how I saw someone overcome something that was sure to end in tragedy. Some days you are just lucky to be breathing, and today was one of them. Although I'm not sure if being alive on Earth is lucky.

It depends on how you look at it. Me personally? I am beginning to think more and more that being here is being cursed. Don't get me wrong, I am not depressed or ungrateful or whatever it would be that would cause someone to make that comment, but I realize more frequently that life is tough, and Heaven is not. Nothing came easy to anyone no matter how easy it might look. Nothing. Even something as simple as making a baby is not as simple as it looks. In fact, I found myself having a conversation with a friend tonight about freezing her eggs- a process that I'm pretty sure isn't as easy as it sounds. I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on tv, but it doesn't take a genius to see that childbirth is no easy feat. In fact, having anything in this life is not easy. Because then when you have things you have to worry about keeping them, you have to uphold your current state of affairs which in some weird way equates your normalcy. You have to worry about things being stolen from you, which plays tricks on your mind, which in turn can play tricks on your body. You are never without problems in this world.

People who live poor I would say are richer than those who live in the lap of luxury, because when you go without, you don't know what you are missing and if you don't feel like you are missing something, then are you really truly missing anything?

This brings me to my next point- that things are not enough. Things are simple, and people are complex. But we routinely find ourselves wanting things to fulfill ourselves, our lives. We spend so much time erecting and maintaining and buying these things, these homes, these faucets that pour fake comfort, just so we can be pleased for a short period of time that we  often ignore each other. We don't give enough, but we always want more. We don't share enough, but we always want others to offer more. We surround ourselves with these magnifiers of greed and blankets of beauty so much that we miss the point- that life is not about what you have, what you earn, what you see in front of you. It's what you give away that makes you. It's the intangibles that should be providing the comfort, and not the food and drinks and cars and activities that fill our days and steal our blessed moments. Perhaps we are missing the biggest picture-the picture of happiness that comes from just being with one another. Perhaps we are suffocating ourselves on things and not leaving room for the moments that arise from just being with one another in soberness, in shadows, outside or in. We are so selfish, and I am just as guilty as the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment